Partners for Perfect Solutions
About Green Farming
Green Farming is a program that aims to connect the horticultural networks of The Netherlands and African countries by setting up joint activities, projects or co-operations in the areas of capacity building, knowledge dissemination, development and production. The Dutch horticultural sector is an innovative industry with high standards of excellence throughout the world. Its know-how and expertise has grown and developed gradually in the past few decades and is now active in a lot of African countries: for example, Kenia, Ethiopia, South Africa, Morocco and starting up new activities in Angola, Tanzania, Rwanda, Ghana and Nigeria. Green Farming combines Dutch technology and experience with the specific production needs local circumstances so that totally custom-made product and service packages, including on-farm training programs, maintenance and service cycles can be offered. Green Farming focuses on providing solutions for profitable and sustainable business results.
The main aim of the program is to contribute to the improvement of living standards of vegetable growers. Through the program, Dutch horticultural knowledge and technology will become available for the benefit of local growers. The core of the program is to demonstrate greenhouse production technology adapted to local production conditions, supported by an extensive knowledge transfer and capacity building.
The two main pillars of the program are:
- Holland Branding: demonstration of the possibilities and advantages of the implementation of a higher level of technology in products and services from The Netherlands in Africa
- Develop sustainable production systems in close cooperation with local partners that are economically and environmentally sustainable, that meet CSR demands and are adjusted to local requirements and conditions
All activities on the levels of business-to-business and government-to-government will be related to one or more of the five main themes of the program. The five main themes are:
Water Management Irrigation, recirculation, water storage and treatment, substrate cultivation
Crop Management Cultivation systems, crop protection, IPM, starting material (young plants, seeds) and propagation
Climate and Energy Climate management, sustainable energy (solar, biomass, geothermal)
Post-Harvest and Logistics Post harvest procedures and treatments, import & export, transport and ICT
Research and Knowledge Exchange Studies, seminars, capacity building, joint research and testing
The activities can include:
- Information studies, focussing on detailed market research, technology, logistics, juridical, fiscal or environmental topics
- Collective representation and joint visits to exhibitions
- (Technical) Seminars on various topics that are related to the program
- Hiring of local advisors
- Demonstration projects in which the possibilities and advantages of the implementation of the higher level or adapted technology in products and services from The Netherlands can be demonstrated
- Incoming and outgoing trade missions
During the course of the program projects on the level of government-to-government will be initiated as well, based on the input of members companies. The most important components of the projects on G-to-G level will be knowledge transfer, capacity building and bilateral cooperation.
Together we develop sustainable, cost efficient and innovative projects all over East Africa. To understand what it is that we do we have highlighted a couple of our projects below.
The Green Farming consortium consists of approximately 25 leading companies in horticulture technology which supports the program and is actively involved on the level of training and knowledge transfer. The program is coordinated by the foundation Green Farming. Depending on the nature of the project companies are asked to join and to cooperate joint to develop the market.